SMD's Employment Services link the business community with an educated and skilled segment of the population who can meet workforce needs – Manitobans with disabilities.
SMD’s Employment Development Specialists assist with human resource recruitment, hiring and follow-up needs. Specialists draw on a pool of skilled workers who are qualified in a variety of fields, saving time and money by pre-screening selected workers for specific needs.
Employment Services will:
- Support Human Resource departments in pre-screening, hiring and accommodating employees with disabilities
- Match suitable candidates to jobs by assessing your specific workplace needs
- Offer information on workplace modification as required
- Provide disability awareness and sensitivity training for staff
- Reduce your training costs through available on-the-job training and work assessment programs
- Provide job support if required
- Monitor job placements to ensure continued success
For People with Disabilities
SMD's Employment Services helps link the diverse and valuable skills of Manitobans with disabilities to the business community by providing assessment, training, placement assistance, counselling, literacy upgrading and computer training.
Employment Services also offers:
- Provision of vocational evaluation, community-based work experience and employment placement services
- Assistance in establishing career goals that match the interest, current ability levels, aptitudes and physical abilities of a consumer
- Provision of information related to the current job market
- Assistance with making choices about further education and or employment
- Exploration of job accommodation and technical aids such as ergonomic seating
- Provision of on the job training and follow up services based on individual needs
- Literacy assessment and training
- Training in the most commonly used computer applications in the workplace
For more information, contact the SMD Employment Preparation Centre at (204) 975-3124 or TTY (204) 975-3125